This module introduces students to some of the main contexts in which language teachers may find themselves teaching. The module looks at how these different contexts shape pedagogy, practice and course design. The module also explores key aspects of materials design and development and draws attention to the importance of selecting appropriate materials and activities for classes.
The aims of the module are:
* To introduce students to some of the different contexts of language teaching.
* To explore the different ways in which learning takes places in different contexts.
* To explore the different ways in which teaching contexts impact on pedagogy and practice.
* To consider notions of appropriateness in materials design and development.
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
1. Discuss some of the different contexts in which language teaching takes place.
2. Understand how context shapes teaching, classroom activities and materials design.
3. Show understanding of how different technologies can be used in the language classroom.
4. Evaluate the appropriateness of teaching materials.
Week 1 Teaching and Learning Contexts
Week 2 Materials Design and Development
Week 3 Technology in Language Teaching and Materials Development
Week 4 Literature in Language Teaching
Week 5 Individual Differences in Language Classrooms
Week 6 Teaching Young Learners 1
Week 7 Teaching Young Learners 2
Week 8 Teaching in Multilingual Classrooms
Week 9 Teaching English for Specific Purposes
Week 10 Teaching English for Academic Purposes
- Module Supervisor: Christina Gkonou