This module is designed for students with no previous knowledge of English law, or of UK Human Rights. Students will be introduced to the general principles of the Human Rights Act 1998 and develop an understanding of how rights are protected within the UK jurisdiction.
The Autumn Term introduces the basic concepts of the Human Rights Act 1998. The Spring Term builds upon this knowledge and Invites students to discuss issues around human rights abuses within UK law. The Summer Term is slanted toward reinforcing students' learning skills.
1. To provide the relevant information to develop students’ knowledge of human rights and the corresponding English Law and enable them to define the relevant concepts within the syllabus
2. To encourage discussion within the class regarding identification of human rights abuses by providing practical scenarios in order to enable the student to identify the corresponding Articles within the topic
3. To promote students to create a legal argument using the Human Rights Act 1998 in a given situation
4. To inspire students to critically analyse judicial interpretation of the Human Rights Act 1998 within cases and to understand the judicial application of sections 2, 3, 4, and 6.
5. To foster good practice in order for students to be able to construct and defend legal arguments pertaining to Human Rights
By the end of this module a student will be expected to be able to:
1. Identify human rights and the corresponding law and be able to define the relevant legal concepts within the syllabus.
2. Discuss legal issues raised in practical scenarios and identify the abuses of rights and the corresponding Articles within each topic.
3. Demonstrate their ability to apply the Human Rights Act 1998 in a given situation.
4. Analyse and criticise case law and utilise their ability to identify judicial interpretation of the Human Rights Act 1998 within cases, including the application of sections 2, 3, 4 and 6 of the HRA 1998.
5. Construct legal arguments and defend the arguments in a discussion group.
Introduction of HRA 1998
What are Human Rights?
Why Human Rights?
Is the Human Rights Act sace post Brexit?
Human rights abuses within UK law
- Module Supervisor: Dave Briggs