The aim of this module is to explore in depth the design of virtual worlds, taking in the motivations of the players and the techniques of the designer. The design studies are complemented by a practical component using a scripting language, and a pragmatic component concerning the relationship of virtual worlds to the real world.
After completing this module, students will be expected to be able to:
1. Discuss the past, present and future of virtual worlds.
2. Describe the design principles of virtual worlds.
3. Describe the theory of virtual worlds.
4. Discuss the relationships between virtual worlds and the real world.
. Past and present of virtual worlds
. Technical overview
. Design - the virtual world
. Design - the player character
. Player types
. The Hero's Journey
. The Real and the Virtual
. Virtual worlds as art
. The future(s) of virtual worlds
- Module Supervisor: Richard Bartle