The primary purpose of this module is to introduce students to key principles of retail management. It aims to provide students with a range of theories and practices necessary in the management of retail organisations. Topics will include a variety of approaches currently prevalent in the retail industry, informed by the practices of actual retailers. Furthermore it will provide students the opportunity to see in practice the role and integration of other aspects of their studies within a specific management field.
1. To provide an understanding of the nature of retail organisations
2. To provide an understanding of the theory and practice of retail management.
3. To develop the ability to understand and analyse retail management
By the end of the module students should be able to:
1. Understand the nature of retail organisations
2. Understand a range of theories and practice of retail management.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of, and the ability to analyse, retail management
Skills for your professional life (Transferable Skills)
After completing this module students should have
Developed their digital/technical fluency through the use and application of Microsoft Office software package and Encore database.
Enhanced their written communication skills through producing discursive coursework assignments
Improved their oral and visual communication skills by taking part in a presentation
Improved their collaborative and team working skills by taking part in team presentation
Improved their critique and feedback skills by acting as a discussant to a team presentation
Enhanced their research skills through researching two coursework assignments and a group project
Recognised the relevance and importance of retail management theory in the current organisational environment through the use of recent news stories/ case studies/examples
- Module Supervisor: Rekha Rao-Nicholson