University of Essex Test of English Language Proficiency (Essex-TELP)

If you are an international student then you probably already have an English language certificate of proficiency such as IELTS or TOEFL. However, like most other British universities we require all newly registered students whose first language is not English to sit a short English language test of our own (Essex-TELP).

This provides us with a single, consistent measure of English language proficiency across the whole of our international student body. The test is short and informal. It's not a pass/fail test and the results do not affect entry to study.